Wild Basin Landfill
History of the Former Dumpsite near the Wild Basin Parking Lot
- In 1947, the City of Austin contracted Mr. Ed Clark to use approximately 5 acres, located in the northern portion of the Wild Basin Wilderness preserve, as a dump area. (see map for boundaries)
- In 1974, Wild Basin was founded by seven women who were members of the environmental group called “Now or Never”, to preserve this area and use it as an outdoor laboratory for science classes and teacher training.
- In 1985, two people began writing a procedural manual of restoration for the dump area and started the initial planting of native plants and trees.
- The entire restoration process took 7 years from start to finish, and we are still monitoring the progress and successes of this project!
- This is a great example of how through land management and restoration geared practices we can reclaim areas and drive for sustainability.